Reporting Births, Deaths and Marriages


What you need to know

Kitwe City Council Registrars Service is responsible for the following: Registration of Births, Deaths, Marriages and the provision of civil weddings and other civic services.

Birth Registration

Births must be registered within 21 Days.

To enhance the service and reduce waiting times we have introduced an appointment system for Birth registrations, to make an appointment please telephone +260 212 224698.
Please note, we will always endeavour to deal with your enquiry, however, if you attend the office later than 4.30pm we may be unable to finalise your request on that day and would therefore offer an appointment for you to return to the office another day.
Please also note, the preferred method of payment at the Service Desk is by Cash or Debit/Credit Card. Registration staff will be unable to accept cash payments. However, you will be able to pay for transactions involving cash/cheque at a separate cash office within the Service Desk.
The office is closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays.

It is the responsibility of the mother or father/parent of the child to attend the Registration Office with the Birth Registration Card and your marriage/civil partnership certificate (if available).
Where the parents are not married to each other or in a registered civil partnership, normally they should attend together if both names are to appear on the birth entry. Alternatively a Statutory Declaration may be made by either parent to enable the birth to be registered on the information of one parent alone. (These forms are available from any Registration Office and must be completed prior to registration).

As a consequence of the Family Law, where the parents of a child are not married to each other or in a registered civil partnership the father/parent acquires parental rights and responsibilities for the child if the birth is registered jointly by both parents.
If you are in any doubt about this it is recommended that you take legal advice.

An Abbreviated Birth Certificate is issued free of charge. A Full Birth Certificate showing parentage etc. can be obtained for the fee of K60.00 within one month of the registration date.
The fee for extracts requested after one month of registration is K70.00 (includes search fee)

Death & Stillbirth Registration

We are responsible for providing a service for the public to carry out their legal duties to register deaths and still births occurring within the Kitwe City Council area. We hold records of all deaths that took place within the City of Kitwe. We also provide advice and help on correcting death entries that may have to be processed through the General Register Office.
A death should normally be registered within five days (unless a coroner is investigating the circumstances leading to a death). The death must be registered at the Register Office for the district where the death occurred.

Who can register a death?
People who have a legal responsibility to register a death include:

A relative.
A person present at the death.
The occupier of the premises where the death occurred if he/she knew about of it.
The person arranging the funeral (this does not include the funeral director).

Make an appointment
For deaths in Kitwe, you must register the death at:

Kitwe Register Office
Kitwe City Council
President Avenue

To make an appointment please contact us.

Please note: Only relatives of the deceased can attend the appointment. This includes relatives of the deceased by marriage/civil partnership or adoption e.g. spouse/civil partner, children, in-laws, siblings.

What will the registrar ask me?
A Registrar will talk to you privately at the Register Office and will ask you for:

The date and place of death.
The full name and surname of the deceased person (and the maiden surname if the deceased was a married woman/civil partner).
The date and place of birth.
The occupation of the deceased and, if the deceased person was a married woman, the full name and occupation of her husband.
Their usual address.
Their last occupation.
If the deceased was married, widowed or registered a formal civil partnership, the full name and occupation of their spouse or civil partner.
The date of birth of a surviving spouse or civil partner.
Details of any public sector pension e.g. civil service, teacher or armed forces.

Once the registration has been completed, the Registrar will ask you to check that all the details are correct before signing the Register. You should check the information carefully before signing. The Registrar will then give you a “green form” which will allow you to arrange the funeral. There is no charge for this form. In addition, you will be given a form for Social Security purposes (BD8). There is no charge for this form.
Where the Coroner is involved a different procedure may apply.

What do I need to register a death?
When you attend your appointment to register a death, please ensure you taking the following information with you:

The medical certificate issued by the doctor treating the final illness of the person who died. Without this certificate the Registrar will not be able to register the death. If the Coroner has been involved the Coroner’s Office will advise you what to do.
The deceased person’s birth certificate or passport. This is not essential but can be helpful.
The deceased person’s medical card. Again this is not essential but is helpful if it can be produced.
Death certificates
At the time of registration a certified copy of the entry in the Register (death certificate) may be provided at a cost of K50. If copies of the death certificate are required after the registration the Registrar will advise on fees.

What if I lose a death certificate?
Duplicate or copy certificates can always be obtained at a later date if required.

Marriage & Civil Weddings

wedding-rings-1350643416A civil marriage is a non-religious ceremony performed by a Superintendent Registrar or Deputy Superintendent Registrar. You may have a civil marriage in any register office or at any approved venue of your choice in Zambia.
We will guide you through some of the procedures you will need to follow including:


.Setting the date for a civil marriage
. Notices of Intention to marry
. Legal preparations and the documents you will need
. Immigration rules
. Getting married in Kitwe
. Personalising your ceremony

Your comments and feedback are welcome and appreciated. To provide comments or for further information please contact us below or call the Kitwe City Town Clerk’s Office at +260 212 224698 or

Kitwe City Council

KCC on Facebook